Friday, July 13, 2012

Cloth Diapering #1

Once Alan and I decided to start trying for a child all the various decisions started - what diapers will we use, where will we give birth, to vaccinate or not to vaccinate, etc. Most people don't even think about these issues - they just assume paper diapers, hospital birth, to vaccinate, etc. I probably would have been the same way if not for friends who made me question the "norm".

In later posts I'll discuss our other choices, but for this post let's talk about Cloth Diapers!


Way before I became pregnant I met Jenna. Jenna is my husbands best friend's wife. At the time she was cloth diapering her baby and running an online cloth diaper business with her mom. At the time I was just like, oh cloth diapers. But that planted a seed and once we became pregnant Jenna was a great source of information.

If you are wanting to Cloth Diaper and wanting more information I found lots of help on BabyCenter in the Community section. The ladies there are awesome. I also purchased the book "Changing Diapers" by Kelly Wels it was nice to have something physical to reference and not just online references. She also has a great website and blog.

We decided to cloth diaper mainly for the cost savings aspect. However I love that I'm not putting all those chemicals on my baby's butt, and I can joyfully say we've not had one instance of Diaper Rash! Adeline used disposable diapers in the very beginning due to having very skinny legs and not having enough newborn diapers, so we basically had to wait until the one size diapers fit. She also had to use sposies (disposables) at daycare for the few months she was there. So for only cloth diapering part time then and full time now we've had a ton of cost savings!

Do you cloth diaper? What was the reasoning behind your family cloth diapering?

That's all for today, tomorrow I'll discuss the types of diapers we chose to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment