Friday, September 21, 2012

Toy Car Roll-Up

Adeline was invited to a birthday party for one of the little boys in our play group, and I knew I wasn't going to be able to go to my usual place for Birthday gifts before the party so I decided to make something he probably wouldn't have - a Car Roll-Up.

Every little boy needs somewhere to store his cars, and it has to be cool. Matchbox Cars says they are for ages 3+ (because of small parts), well I'll leave it up to the parents discretion (he is turning 2). But I'm thinking I've seen him with small cars before, and if not mom can hide until he's old enough! The age limits on toys are a joke though. I bought Adeline some maracas today - they are for 4+! Seriously? I guess IF they break open there are small parts, but I don't leave my daughter alone to play and she received some cheaper plastic ones as a birthday favor that she has LOVED to death (literally - they've been dropped so many times they don't sound right) and they never broke open and I threw them away as soon as I thought they were getting close to that. Parents need to be parents, period.

ANYWAY....

I followed the tutorial by My Little Gems. Well mostly, you know me I just glance at the instructions then figure it out for myself the rest of the way. I of course make little errors here and there, but no biggie. For this one my one Oops was not putting the ribbon down further - but no big deal and it still works. I picked up the CARS fabric from the remnants bin at JoAnn Fabrics and thankfully had it on hand already! Remnants bin is awesome for small projects like this and I have enough left to make another I believe! (So if you want one, let me know!)

Here is the finished product:
 



And then you must have a gift bag to present the present in. I like to reuse old shopping bags if I don't have a gift bag in my stash that fits the occasion. So I took this small bag from bareMinerals and made it into a birthday gift bag by placing Birthday stickers over the lettering and using a black sharpie to cover what stickers couldn't!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Simple Quilts and Sewing Magazine (you can purchase anywhere) published my tute and turned it into a pattern- with colored illustrations and stuff... might be helpful if you ever plan on making more. Hope the birthday was fun!

    ReplyDelete